Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sovereign Hope (Hope Series #1) Review


Sovereign Hope: Book One in The Hope Series (Volume 1) by Frankie Rose

Book description...
Everyone has a soul
Some are just worth more than others
Farley Hope was seventeen when her mother disappeared. In the last six months not much has changed, except that her eighteenth birthday came and went and still no sign of Moira. Her life is just as complicated as it always was. Since her father died in a car crash before she was even born, she’s officially parentless, and to top it all off she’s still suffering from the hallucinations. Mind-splitting, vivid hallucinations- the kind prone to induce night terrors and leave you whimpering under your covers like a baby.
The last thing on her mind is boys. Farley is on break from St. Judes’ when she meets Daniel. It’s not some casual run in at a party, or even a blind date with friends, though. Daniel is the guy following her in his 1970′s Dodge Charger; the guy standing at her window in the LA lunch hour traffic, trying to persuade her to leave everything behind and follow him. And he's hot as all hell.
The moment Farley lays eyes on Daniel, everything changes. He is cold and withdrawn, but there are cracks in his harsh veneer- cracks that betray the secrets he is trying so hard to hide. Farley is drawn into a world that will shake apart everything she thought she ever knew. There are truths out there that she must learn: that a person’s soul is their only real currency, and there are people who would do anything to take hers; that loving someone can hurt so much more than hating them; but, most importantly, when your future is predestined, there is little you can do to change it.
Farley Hope is prophesied.
Her coming has been awaited for hundreds of years.
She is destined to end the tyranny of the Soul Reavers.
To do so she must die.


I received Sovereign Hope from the super sweet Frankie Rose as a request for an honest review... and that is exactly what you're going to get... but I have to warn you, I was so blown away by the creativity and Frankie's take on immortals that I'm not sure how much of this will exactly make sense... I don't want to give anything away and I want to try and give this wonderful book the praises it deserves!

Farley is a beautiful young girl.  She's funny and sweet despite the worry she has faced with the disappearance of her mother.  Farley hasn't had an easy life... she has suffered from hallucinations, headaches, dizzy spells, and now she is about to face so much more.  I felt for her on so many levels because she had to put her trust in the hands of complete strangers.  One stranger who kept appearing at odd times, mostly when she is in danger, and another stranger who had an extremely welcoming smile but seemed a bit crazy with all her talk about the immortals.  As she puts her trust in these two strangers she begins to have feelings for one of them... feelings that confuse her, because it seems like just the sight of her has him in a constant bad mood.


Daniel... oh, Daniel... how I wish I could have figured you out a little better.  I understood him and the situation he was in and yet I didn't.  His moods seemed to be as unpredictable as the weather and yet he held a sad look in his eyes that had Farley wanting to reach out to him as a way of comfort but that just seemed to make him angrier... at her.  There are small glimpses into Daniel's P.O.V.... and let me tell you, I looked forward to those.  It's fascinating how these authors figure out a way to give you just enough to make your curiosity grow just short of an obsession... and then when you get a bigger glimpse into the character or better yet, you get a little of their P.O.V. where they're actually talking about their feelings... it's like you've hit the mother load... yet oddly, you still want more.  That is what Daniel did for me, Frankie gave me just enough that should have satisfied me, but of course, I want more of him... I want more of his thoughts.... I want more of.... oops, I'm so not going to give it away!


Then, there is Agatha... she is super sweet, she's got this motherly but big sister all in one vibe about her.  I couldn't help but love her and the way she obviously cared for not only Daniel, Aldan (I'll get to him in a second), but also Farley.  She seemed to have hope that Daniel didn't... hope in something (well okay numerous somethings that all kind of play into each other in the long run) that just had me voicing my own hope right along with her!  I have unanswered questions about her too and hopefully those will be answered in book two which I am already anxious for... for quite a few reasons.  


The one character that I absolutely loved, he was interesting, and captivating, I just loved Alden... loved him to the point that I was devastated when he ******!  He was lively, he was a changed man who wanted to do the right thing... even if that meant breaking a promise he made.  The best part of him was how everything that was so genuinely good about this man all revolved around Daniel.. and that just made me care for both of them that much more.


Now as much as I would absolutely love to tell you about the story, I just can't... Yes, you got it.. I'm going to give you my little "I can't give any spoilers" speech.  I have good reason for doing that with this one too... There are things that happen between these characters that you have to experience, you have to get your first impression and then cast your judgement before you either prove yourself right or wrong when the truth begins to revel itself.  But I will tell you....there were so many things in this book that would happen or that would be said and I would find myself stopping just to think... "Wow, what an interesting way to put this"  Paranormal books are so popular these days... yet most of them seem to be so similar that you almost feel as if you're reading the same book... that is not the case here.  Frankie, has taken paranormal to a whole new level of interesting.  Her writing style is addicting and some of the quotes, that I debated sharing but realized they may give away too much?  Yeah, they were down right beautiful! 


Sovereign Hope: Book One in The Hope Series (Volume 1) by Frankie Rose is a fast paced, interesting, and consuming read.  It kept me on the edge of my seat... and up past my bedtime. I look forward to reading more of Frankie's work... but most importantly I look forward to reading Eternal Hope and finding out what happens next with all of these amazing characters!  


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment