Sunday, May 13, 2012

Guarding Jess (McCormack Security Agency #2) Review


Guarding Jess (McCormack Security Agency) by Shannon Curtis

Book description...
 
Jessica Pennington's work as an etiquette coach requires her to be polite and proper at all times, especially now that she has a book coming out. The only thing that rattles her reserve is the increasingly violent emails and texts from her persistent stalker. With the book launch in jeopardy, she reluctantly hires a bodyguard.
Noah Samuels hates stuck-up, prim people like Jessica. He's more the blunt, straightforward type. But to advance up the ranks at McCormack Security, he has to take the high-profile assignment. After a near miss on his first day on the job, Noah realizes that the stalker isn't just hype cooked up to sell books—the threat is real.
As the stalker escalates from letters to letter bombs, Noah sees a vulnerable side of Jessica that rouses more than just his protective instincts. But can she let down her guard long enough to trust Noah before it's too late?

I just found out that Guarding Jess is book two in the McCormack Security Agency Series... so if you're a stickler for reading books in order... even though I had no problem keeping up... then check out Viper's Kiss  first.  The only question I had at the end of the book was how Noah had been hurt, so the answer may be in the first book... OR, because I started reading this before my kids were in bed... I may have found out at the beginning and the constant "Moms" distracted me enough not to retain it... hate to admit that but it's been known to happen before.

So I really enjoyed this book, Jess is all prim and proper... to the point where it grated on my last nerve because she kept everything in for fear that letting her emotions get the best of her would ruin her image.. an image she had to maintain because of her profession... I eventually got over it.  I got over it when she let her guard down while playing a little game called talking ball in jeans and a sweat shirt.  It was nice to finally see Jess the way she is meant to be... because the sophisticated outfits and constant guard on her manners just didn't seem to fit her... and that's probably why I didn't warm up completely to her until about 1/2 way through the book.

Now, Noah... well... I have to say that I didn't fall for him, I crushed, but I didn't fall.  He's hot as hell and has that broody man that every girl wants to change thing going on... and the chemistry between him and Jess is undeniable... I just didn't feel the full effect of what could have been.  Noah, hasn't exactly had the best of luck... he's recovering from an injury, he's estranged from his father, he's got major trust issues with women because of his ex-fiance', and he comes across as quiet but arrogant.

I may not have completely warmed to the characters but I loved the story... it was faced paced, it kept me guessing until the very end, and it was sweet watching Noah and Jess fight their feelings for one another... until, they finally give in... which let me tell you was pretty explosive... the first time, and all that was, was a mini make out session that left me pretty hot and bothered.  Then, of course, Jess "puts Noah in his place".  I felt for Noah here because it was clear that he was not only developing true feelings for the prim and proper "Miss Prissy" as he calls her, but she reminded him of his past and made him feel like she was no different then his ex-fiance'... to be honest it was a little hard to read his feelings on that because, even though I didn't fully warm up to Jess, I was still rooting for her to show Noah that not all women are like his ex. 

So they go back to the professional relationship.. and I have to say, I got a little bored with that... okay I got a lot bored with it, I wanted to see some chemistry... even if it was just a simple touch or even a look... but all we get are thoughts.. thoughts from both of them fighting their own emotions about each other.... BUT... I didn't have to wait too long for it all to pick back up again after all hell breaks loose..... and what do you know?  Noah is there to comfort Jess and boy does he struggle with knowing how to make things right between them, how to comfort her because all he wants to do is pull her into his arms and take away her pain.... and when they think the situation has come to end they come together in an extremely hot, fast, satisfying way that had me pleased to no end that these two... somewhat emotionally lost characters would find true happiness with each other.

But there problems don't end there.... unfortunately the real problem is only just getting warmed up...


Guarding Jess (McCormack Security Agency) by Shannon Curtis was a great easy, fast paced read that had my nose buried in Luke until the very end.. and the end?  well what can I say other than I let out a soft dreamy little sigh with a big smile on my face.  I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the McCormack Security Agency series!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment