Sunday, May 5, 2013

Norma Jean Review

Norma Jean by Amanda Heath
The night Chance Duncan drunkenly kissed me on his couch, I vowed my revenge. I finally had something over his head, something that would bring him to his knees. It only served him right. He bullied me for years and turned me into this messed up person I am now.

Though I didn’t know at the time he wasn’t that mean little boy anymore. He was almost a man and easily stole my breath away. I just wanted to make him fall in love with, then break his heart into a million pieces. Just the way mine was. Instead he put the pieces back together and I started to feel whole again.

Good things never last. He did what I was supposed to do. Broke my already fragile heart all over again. Betrayed and alone I fled my home town and started a new life where I wasn’t in the shadow of what I did.

Now he is back and trying to worm his way into my heart, again. Though he will never know it will always belong to him. He hurt me and I want nothing to do with him. Life has other plans. Doesn’t it always?

He doesn’t know though. Doesn’t know what I’m hiding or who I’m hiding from. I never thought I would see Chance again and I’m afraid that he’ll get hurt getting mixed up in my mess. Though he is right in the middle of it, without even knowing it. I have to find a way for us to get out, before somebody dies.

My name is Norma Jean and this isn’t a fairytale.

Have you ever read a book that had a little something to deal with Enemies turned Lovers?  Did you ever wonder how in the world the couple would be able to make it?  Would it be possible for their emotions to turn from pure lust to true love?  I've lots of these kind of books... only I've never seriously questioned how they would make it... I've always seen their taunting for exactly what it  was - a crush. 

But that was not the case with Norma Jean... this was pure hatred here... the things Chance says and does... all I can say is WOW.  Now I totally understood, but it definitely didn't make it right and in all honesty I don't think I could have gotten through this story based on his actions alone... getting inside his head is what made me fall for him, watching him struggle trying to right his wrongs made me want to fix it all for him, and then finally watching him get the chance to live out his dream was absolute bliss.

These two had one hell of a rough ride and each and every word kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next.   The struggles that Norma Jean faced throughout her life were heartbreaking.  The fact that she had to face them all over again when it was time to leave for college my heart broke for her.  But then watching those shattered pieces place themselves back together again... it was bittersweet because of who it was that was able to mend it.

The writing style has this amazing flow and the characters are so well built I can still picture them in my head.  I'm definitely looking forward to reading more work by Amanda Heath.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment