Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sometimes Never (Sometimes Never #1) Review

Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre

Hope didn't have the best role model when it came to relationships. She’s content with her current no-strings-attached extracurricular activity with the lead singer of her band. She’s never believed in love and commitment.

Mason starts his eighth school in five years anticipating nothing more than the usual—boring classes, fighting more than making friends, and girls happily willing to succumb to his easy smile. He’s never put much stock into love at first sight—until he sees her.

Regardless of their painful pasts, Hope and Mason discover that sometimes never can become forever.



*This is a mature young adult. Recommended for 17+ due to sensitive subject material, harsh language, and sexual situations.

Most of the time when I read a book it's all about connecting with the characters and trying to escape the reality of everyday life... Sometimes it's all about how heartbreakingly beautiful the hero is or how the heroine made me love her even though I typically wouldn't have.  But, for me, it's always about the story and how the story made me feel.

Sometimes Never was one of those books that I couldn't put down.  The funny thing is, is it's not like I was connecting with the characters and was dying to know what would happen next to them... because I really didn't.  It was about the issues in the book and how they were handled.  How they affected everyone else and how deep the scars actually ran.  Cheryl McIntyre took a situation that I do not understand and under normal circumstances would have stayed away and she made me want to know more... want to understand why someone would make those choices.

Then there was the romance between Hope and Mason.  It was sweet in the fact that these two very damaged young kids were able to heal each other emotionally... or at least start to heal each other.  I loved the banter they had between each other as well as their super vague that it made hardly any sense unless you paid attention conversations.

Then there was this quote that made me think:

"Someone who listens to a broad assortment of music is more open to different things.  Sees there's more than one way to look at things."   

That quote has stuck with me... because it's true, or maybe it's not but in a way it kind of is.  I personally love to listen to all different kinds of music, I know what I like best and I know what gets on my last nerve the quickest.  But I also know people who refuse to listen or get real disgusted looks on their faces when they hear something that is not in their "genre".... and those same people are the ones who seem to only stick to what they know or what they deem as normal.  But seriously that quote... I kind of want to print it out and stick it on my desk just so I can look at it.

While I have to say that this wasn't the greatest book that I can't wait to run and tell all my friends about... I will say it's definitely worth the read.  It's well written and has a great flow that left me wanting to read more by Cheryl McIntyre.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment