Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Her Forbidden Hero Review


Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye

Book description...
She's always been off-limits...
Former Army Special Forces Sgt. Marco Vieri has never thought of Alyssa Scott as more than his best friend's little sister, but her return home changes that...and challenges him to keep his war-borne demons at bay. Marco's not the same person he was back when he protected Alyssa from her abusive father, and he's not about to let her see the mess he's become.
...but now she's all grown up.
When Alyssa takes a job at the bar where Marco works, her carefree smiles wreak havoc on his resolve to bury his feelings. How can he protect her when he can't stop thinking about her in his bed? But Alyssa's not looking for protection—not anymore. Now that she's back in his life, she’s determined to heal her forbidden hero, one touch at a time...
 


So I've been in this what I'm calling a reading funk for the past week or two... not that I haven't wanted to read because a day without reading would seem like a day without water to me.... My problem was I couldn't find anything that grabbed my attention in the way I wanted.  I read some good books but they just weren't what I was looking for... The heroines would piss me off for whatever reason and the heroes just weren't alpha enough for me.  So, I did a lot of rereading my favorite books... which I loved at the time but then realized maybe that wasn't such a great idea... because.... it seemed like my standards got even higher..... sigh... I know, I'm a pain in the behind.. but whatever!  Anyway, I decided I wanted to read one of those super sweet, makes you smile, and almost makes you groan with frustration because of how sweet everything is in the story kind of books..... Well, that was a mistake too, because... well... I just got frustrated thinking, that isn't even close to being realistic and quite frankly any man who acts like that is nothing but a pansy.  And then..... while playing on Facebook, I saw where Laura Kaye had advertised her newest release and I thought.... Hmmmm, a "forbidden love", a wounded soldier, and a young woman who's been in love with this man for like... ever? - Umm... SOLD!"  So I bought it.... and can I just say... YAY!!!! I'm cured, THIS story was what I needed to get me out of my "funk"!  So thank you Laura!


Alyssa has kind of hit rock bottom and moved back to her home town... well more like drifted back since her old roommate kind of screwed her.  Short on cash and knowing a place where she can work as a waitress she makes her way to Whiskey's to apply for the job.... knowing full well that her brother's best friend... and the man she has secretly been in love with her whole life... works there as a bartender.  I had mixed feelings for Alyssa.... one minute, I loved her and thought... wow this girl has got an amazing back bone for a 22 year old, then the next minute I couldn't help but feel like she still had a lot of growing up to do... but then I found out about her past and well..... all those negative thoughts I had for her flew right out the window.... after all she endured as a child she grew into a beautiful, strong, smart, and caring woman.... all of which is thanks to her awesome brother Brady (I wouldn't mind reading his story... hint hint Laura!!) and his best friend Marco.


Mmmm, Marco.... can I just say that the Lake scene... was... ummm, like... major yummy... major yummy!  Marco was my kind of hero... he has a lot of demons that need to be faced and instead of actually facing them he's just kind of existing and trying to make it through each day.  When he first sees Alyssa he's happy to have his Aly-girl back... but then he notices that she has grown up... like notices... if you know what I  mean and his protective instincts come full force especially when he sees on of the bar patrons getting a little too handsy.   He struggles with these feelings and they begin to overwhelm him because she is off-limits... best friend rule and all.. yeah, yeah... So he decided to push her away and keep distance between them... like that plan was actually going to work... especially once he finds out that she's staying in a hotel and struggling to make ends meet.  So he tells her to move in with him, that he wants her with him.  


I don't want to give away too much here because it will just take away from the story but I will say that what develops between them is very sweet, beautiful, and became something to cherish with everything they had.  Obviously the book would have been even shorter had they actually communicated with each other and understood each others feelings from the start.. but with that said I don't think true feelings would have been realized nor would a certain character have gone to the extreme they went to... to prove their feelings.  


Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye  was a great little read... it was easy, it was lovable, it was touching, and most of all it broke me free of my reading funk!  I love Laura's writing style, her books are mostly fairly short but her stories are always touching and her men are almost always the kind you want to fall in love with.  

Happy Reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this book looks good! Buying it now! Thanks for the recommendation honey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love it Brit.. it's definitely your kind of book

      Delete