Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Rock Chick Regret (RC #7) Review


Rock Chick Regret by Kristen Ashley


Book description...
Sadie Townsend is known by all as The Ice Princess and she’s worked hard to earn her reputation. Her father, a now-incarcerated Drug Lord, has kept her under his thumb her whole life and she’s learned enough from living in his world to give everyone the cold shoulder. But one inebriated night, she shows the Real Sadie to the undercover agent she knows is investigating her father, the handsome Hector Chavez, and he knows he’ll stop at nothing to have her.
Hector makes one (huge) mistake; he waits for Sadie to come to him. Tragedy strikes and Sadie’s got a choice, she can retreat behind her Ice Fortress or she can embrace the Rock Chick/Hot Bunch World. Guided by Hector, the Rock Chicks, the Hot Bunch and her new gay roommates, Buddy and Ralphie, Sadie negotiates a life out from under her father’s thumb, a life that includes poison, arson and learning how to make s’mores
 


There is so much to discuss about this book... because the book was freaking amazeballs awesome.... but because there is so much to get out about it, I was struggling with where I wanted to go with this review so of course my girls came to my rescue... So first and foremost big huge thanks to Nikki and Gitte for their thoughts on my second favorite Rock Chick book!!!
Nikki:  Rock Chick Regret had me from the prologue. It was one of those moments I will never forget in my reading life - and I don't mean that lightly, I mean I was literally SPELLBOUND. 
Gitte:  Hector and Sadie are my FAVE KA hero/heroine...and their story is my FAVE in the RC series!!!
It all starts off with Sadie... the adorable Fairy Princess or as she refers to herself the Ice Princess... sucking up her uncomfortable feelings and seeking out some help.  She needs protection and she wants to hire the best so she goes to the best... the one and only Lee Nightengale....
Gitte: Sadie...she broke my heart, I wanted to pick her out the book and put her in my pocket to keep her safe. This gorgeous resilient and brave girl who kept her head up and hid the real Sadie behind her protective wall of self preservation and defense mechanisms which were forced upon her by circumstance. Sadie the Ice Princess who lets no-one in...until Hector (*SIGH*) Chavez. Sadie took a piece of my heart with her beautiful soul!
Nikki: The prologue started with Sadie going to Nightengale Investigations for help in accessing protection from those crazy mobster brothers and damned if the whole encounter didn't grab me by the heartstrings.  Reading about Sadie maneuvering her way through that awkward meeting with Lee and Hector and then feeling the rebuff from all the characters present in that scene was enough to make me fall for Sadie then and there.
Uh, yeah... I couldn't have said that better myself.  I completely felt for Sadie here... granted all the characters had their reasons for acting the way they did... and I get that... but I couldn't help but feel my heart going out to her because these reactions to her presence were cold and a tad unnerving once you find out why they acted this way... and then how it in no way was her fault...
Nikki: And then Chapter 1 hits and boy does it HIT.  It hit me in a way that my soul was touched when reading that chapter, Lori, I mean, wow.  From there is was just a steady progression of me crushing on Sadie and Hector equally through out the ups and downs of their relationship.
 Gitte:  The car park scene..I CRIED...and couldn't get it out my head...I felt her pain, it broke my heart...Hector seeing her there crushed on the stairs..my heart broke for him because he has been waiting for her, loving her in secret and must have felt so helpless and broken. I found this part really hard to read but it was so well written and emotional.

Yep... again, I completely agree.  I was floored by chapter 1... so floored I was crying, not only at what happened but what Sadie was saying to Hector, and the fact that you could just picture the look on Hectors face... a look I'm sure would show his heart just breaking at her admissions....
"It only matters if there's someone to care if you don't wake up.  It's okay if I don't wake up because there's no one to care."
I actually felt my heart rip in two when I read that.... had we not have gotten that glimpse into Sadie... a very hard glimpse to watch play out... but had I not have gotten that I don't know that I would have been as patient with her through out the book.  But I was, I was extremely understanding of her thoughts and her insecurities because she didn't know any better... to her what she was experiencing once the Rock Chicks descended was not real because in her eyes she didn't deserve it because she saw them as good, kindhearted people... but saw herself as a mobsters daughter... The Ice Princess.  
Gitte: I loved her place in the Rock Chick family. The way it came about by her asking for help from the Nightingale gang..not getting it..how they spent the rest of the story trying to make up for it...it got me completely, they took care of her, did everything they possibly could to protect her . But ultimately they gave her a family!!!
Me too, definitely me too.... She finally got what she had been missing her entire life and... It. Was. Beautiful!

Now, let's talk a little about Hector... mmmm, Hector... Let me just put it this way.... If Luke Stark didn't remind me of my husband so much that I actually feel like I'm reading about him then Hector would be my number one guy... I mean for starters take a look at that freaking visual.... Thanks to my lovely Gitte for that too, girl you are killer when it comes to finding visuals...Kill-Er!!!  He's freaking hot... or as Ralphie (One of Sadie's Best Friends) calls him "Hispanic Hottie"... the stuff that comes out of this man's mouth had me reacting to the point where I was having full body shivers.... and then on top of it he is sweet as can be....
"Mamita, it was funny but I've never seen you laugh like that before.  No way in hell I was missin' the chance to watch that."
He was patient with Sadie.. he knew she was worth the effort he was going to have to put into her and even though he got frustrated he didn't seem to mind... at all.
Nikki: The passion and sexy times between these two were panty melting hot but incredibly sweet.  They were both exceptional, smart, and strong characters but also very vulnerable.  Even Hector.  He was like a Sadie-whisperer... any sudden wrong moves had him rolling all the way back to square one.
See?  And that is why I loved Hector so much.... He really was like the "Sadie - Whisperer" He knew what it would take to try and win her trust along with her heart.... he knew that was going to take extreme work and an even more extreme level of patience and he stuck it out... it was hot... it was sweet... and most of all he was gentle....

Gitte:  Hector (I am fanning myself cause he is so HOT) Chavez. There is no doubt about it Hector Chavez stole my heart from the very beginning. The way he takes care of Sadie is breathtakingly beautiful and when he whispers endearments to her in Spanish - YUMMY HOT. His care and patience WOW so touching!!! She’s been so badly hurt, is emotionally broken and Hector knows he needs to take things slowly - his patience and care with her is so very beautiful to read. Hector helped Sadie grow, he encouraged her to find herself under the ice queen facade, he helped her get stronger which resulted in her sticking up for herself and thereby finding the REAL Sadie that's been buried deep inside.
Nikki: I loved that Sadie was actually quite reserved and trying to find herself throughout this story.  It made her dealings with Hector a little more.... gentle then some of the other Rock Chicks and their Hot Guys.  There wasn't a lot of personality clashing involved and it just felt super sweet and all heart-melty
Again.... I have to Ditto you my beautiful Girlies!!!  The clashing between Hector and Sadie had little to do with personalities as much as it had to do with the danger that Sadie was in.... and more importantly Sadie trying to figure out exactly who she was because she played a game her entire life.... and that game was to keep her safe.  Like I said earlier... had we not have had that small glimpse into Sadie's past, i wouldn't have gotten that her game was for safety reasons.. but I did and it made me sympathize with Sadie even more.  At 29 years old she had to discover herself, and let me tell you once she did... I loved her even more.... and her relationship with Hector was even more beautiful!

So Nik, Gitte, and I have a lot of the same favorite quotes from this book and this one I'm going to share because it's down right hysterical... 
He came back in, stopped in front of me and held up a device.  My eyes grew round with excitement.  "This is a --" he started but stopped when my hand whipped out and snatched it from him.  "It's a stun gun!" I cried, I was so excited I was being nearly as loud as his family "Veronica Mars has one of these"
What's a Rock Chick book without stun guns right?  It's kind of bad actually because I was just on the phone with another one of my girls and we were talking about how we want stun guns so the next time we go out on the town to paint St. Louis our own crazy version of red we're prepared... after all is this the most dangerous city in the US... eek!  But anyway, this quote cracked me up and it also plays into something Nik loved about the book....
Nikki: The Veronica Mars references. I am a HUGE Veronica Mars fan.  In the book, Sadie and her friends Ralphie and Buddy are (when they manage some spare time from the hotties and action) pulling a VMars marathon and Sadie wishes she could be all kick ass like Veronica. It's super cute and totally made me squee cos I knew exactly what she was talking about when bringing up Veronica, Logan, Duncan and the evil Fitzpatrick clan.  Totally awesome!
I personally knew very little... I know who Veronica Mars is and I watched it occasionally, and have to admit the show was cute and I wished I would have watched it more.. BUT it was on at the same time as another show I was more involved in and we didn't have a DVR back then... I may have to pick up the seasons on DVD because not only did Sadie and her Veronica excitement make me want to check it out but Nik has me feeling like I've missed out as well!

Then you've got the quote that is so freaking hot you can't help but read it... stop... reread it... and then if you're anything like me you think "Holy Shit that was so freaking hot I think I need to read that line again"....
 "Mamita, his voice was rough with what sounded like laughter and something else altogether, you think you could handle my mouth between your legs without you freaking out?"
Ummm.... I'm over here Hector... waving my arms in the air, trying to get your attention to let you know that there is no way in HELL I will freak out of you want to put your mouth between my legs... Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't admit to that...
Gitte:  Seriously Hector is bloody HOT!!!!
Tell me about it babe!  I couldn't agree with you more.

Okay so there's more... I'm still debating on if I want to share this with you all or not because the entire chapter is not only funny as can be but there's also hot as  hell moment that my girl Gitte absolutely loves.... Okay here's what I decided... I'm going to share but I'm going to be a complete tease about it..... Here is Gitte's exact words to me regarding this scene but I have ** out the words I don't want you to know... I know, I'm a bitch... it's not like I haven't heard it before....
Gitte: Sadie ********..a black panther fierce, intense and graceful...it reminds Sadie of Hector. "...I stopped talking because Hectors hands moved away from my hip and they closed around my waist, tight. So tight, his fingers were digging in and that got my attention....and those black eyes I told ******* about were intense, beyond intense, they were burning right into me. How fucked up are you he asked..I was still confused..Sadie, fucked up. Shitfaced, Trashed. Loaded. Drunk....Sadie answer me....You ******. To show my appreciation I'm gonna fuck you until you scream my name and I wanna make sure you remember it. Now how fucking drunk are you?" OMFG - this scene has got to be one of the hottest KA scenes EVER!!!
Oh, it was hot alright but if you want to know exactly what happens you're going to have read this book.... this book is just too good NOT to read.  Like I said before, if I didn't connect, emotionally, the way I do with Luke and Ava.... THIS would be my book.... THIS is a book I will continue to keep my my reread list because it is amazing, it's beautiful, and most of all Hector is down right the definition of drool worthy... rough around the edges, whispers sweet nothings in Spanish,  is patient and gentle?   Yeah... the only coherent word I can come up with at this exact moment now that Hector is consuming my brain...is.... YUM!

Rock Chick Regret by Kristen Ashley is an absolutely amazing book.... has gone on my reread list will it will remain because quite frankly I can not get enough of Hector and his adorable Spanish endearments nor can I prevent the smile that graces my face every time I see Sadie come into herself and show the world what a beautiful woman she is..... As usual KA had me consumed with these characters.  She does a phenomenal job of  maintaining the secondary characters in her books to the point where you look forward to seeing them again... at least I do!  I'm extremely anxious to find out when the 8th and final Rock Chick book will be released... We've seen so much of Ally in the first 7 books that I can not wait to see what KA has planned for this bundle of energy in her own book!

Happy Reading!
 

2 comments:

  1. You girls are too cute. Oh and Lori, that is NOT nice that you blanked out what you didn't want us to know lol. I haven't read this one yet but plan to as soon as I finish Lady Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sigh* Ty... Oh I may just have to do a reread of Ty... LOVE him! It wasn't nice I will admit that but once you read it.. text me, email me, post it on here... because you will understand why I ***'d out so much ;)

      Delete