Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lengths Review


Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt

Book description...
Nineteen-year-old Whit Conrad leaves her conservative Pennsylvania home for sunny California, looking for independence, a fresh start, and a place to stash her grief. She promptly finds a job at a tattoo parlor, a craptastic first apartment, and one friend—Ryan—who is a little less friend, a little more benefits.
Deo Beckett is a soulful surfer with a passion for tattoos and beautiful women. On the eve of his twenty-second birthday, he finds himself living with his grandfather, recently unemployed, and seriously adrift. He doesn’t know much about what he wants out of life, but he does know his current situation isn't cutting it.
When Deo meets Whit, she’s all sexy makeup and fierce, smart-ass fun. It doesn’t take him long to see past her tough shell. And when he gets a good look at what's under all the superficial stuff that usually gets his attention, it leaves Deo wondering if there might be more to life than living fast and free.
Too bad Whit has a past she doesn't plan on sharing—no matter how hot Deo is. She might want him, but she knows better than to let her guard down.
Deo falls for Whit, and falls hard. But everything about her, down to that mysterious tattoo and the way she thrashes in her sleep, tells him that the girl he loves is hiding something. And the more he pushes for answers, the more Whit pulls away.
Having your guard up is one thing, but are the lengths Whit goes to to protect her secret worth throwing away the second chance she has at happiness with Deo?


It wasn't a secret that I was anxious for the release of this book... when I received the email from Liz and Steph with the Title, Cover, and Book description, I was jumping for joy for numerous reasons!  One... I adore Liz, Two... I adore Steph, Three... they teamed up together and wrote an adult romance novel, and the best of all and so worth repeating is... They Teamed Up Together and Wrote an Adult Romance Novel!!!!  Like I said that last one is so worth repeating because both Liz and Steph have this amazing ability to write so clearly that you feel the characters feelings almost to the point of experiencing them yourself.  Lengths was no different.. I felt for them, I fell in love with them, and I was sad when my time with them was over.

So my feelings for Whit were kind of like a roller coaster.   I adored her quick sense of humor and her strong sense of loyalty... what I didn't fully understand about her was her.... we'll call it motivation... that kept her from forming any kind of emotional attachments.  Her reasons pulled at my heart because I feel where she is coming from to a point but at the same time she was putting too much pressure on herself... to much blame for something she could have had no control over.  Half the time I wanted to hug her and the other half I wanted to smack her... there were two reasons I wanted to smack her and one of those was the very sexy, bad boy Deo.

...sigh... Deo, I could sit here and dream about Deo for hours.  He's a typical laid back, go with the flow, bad boy that is just out to have a good time with whoever may come along.... until he meets Whit.  There is something about her that has his insides screaming to actually take the time to get to know her.  He's in unchartered territory when it comes to wooing a woman that he plans to actually make his but he decides that he'll stop at nothing to make her take a chance on him for more than just sex.   Deo made me sigh... a lot!  He was sweet to a fault and pretty much wore his heart on his sleeve when it came to Whit.  
"There's no limit to the lengths I'd go to make you happy, doll." 
He knew what he saw in Whit and he was determined to make her see it too.  Even if it did mean crossing some lines... lines he hoped he was fixing for her in order to show her how much she meant to him.  But, because Whit still has yet to actually deal with the grief she's experiencing she gives Deo a run for his money and a whole lot of confusion.


Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt was a witty, easy yet emotional read that had me shhh'ing my husband and kiddos just so I could finish each chapter.  The story flowed smoothly and I found myself thinking how amazing these two lovely authors worked together in order to create a virtually flawless book.  Congrats to Liz and Steph... I hope we will get to see you two work together again in the near future!!!

Happy Reading!

1 comment: