Sunday, November 25, 2012

Checkmate (A Neighbor From Hell #3) Review

Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell) by R.L. Mathewson

Book description...
There’s nothing worse than living next door to your childhood nemesis, except maybe being forced to share your dream project with him, being blackmailed into going along with something that was just wrong on so many levels, and having your hot cocoa stolen by the person that drove you to drink it in the first place.
As long as she has plenty of hot cocoa, a pair of pliers on hand and is able to resist Connor O’Neil’s bad boy charm then Rory James should be able to make it through this project with her sanity intact. If not…..
She’d probably face a few more nights in jail, have a few more restraining orders slapped against her and lose her heart to the man that ruined her life.


 I have to be honest and say that I have not read many books where the hero and heroine were life long enemies... I've read some where they H/h don't get a long and maybe didn't like each other but none to this extreme.  And I liked it... I liked it a lot.... because all that pent up frustration they would have towards each other built into this extreme amount of passion between the two.  Not to mention it was down right entertaining to watch these two tell each other things and then have to explain themselves because of their past.

I loved Rory... And yes I know, I have really liked a lot of heroines here lately which is not typical for me... but I did love her.  She was a strong independent woman who knew what she wanted and was not afraid to fight for it.  I loved that she didn't want the typical lines men feed us and just wanted to actually feel loved and cherished.  I loved that she was not afraid to get her hands dirty and took her job extremely serious.  Most of all I absolutely LOVED that she held onto one heck of a sense of humor through all of this.  She knew what life was about and she wanted to make the most of it... unfortunately not everyone wanted to let her make the most of it... most especially Conner, her life long arch nemesis.

Conner... well, Conner was just a man who saw what he wanted and was determined to get it in typical male fashion.... ALL WRONG!  He was cocky, arrogant, kind of douchey, thoughtful, kind, and absolutely adorable!  I couldn't help but laugh at his idea of a plan because he actually believed it would happen but when his concentration turned to what he really wanted and has wanted all along I couldn't help but cheer him on instead of laugh at him.

Their relationship not only made me smile and actually feel the chemistry between them, but it made me laugh and kept me laughing throughout.  Checkmate is definitely one to check out.. the shenanigans these two constantly find themselves in had me taking notes... My husband and I love to play pranks on each other... not the the extent that Rory and Conner go... so I have to say THANK YOU to R.L. for giving me a few ideas and I sure hope that you're willing to be my one phone call should I end up arrested!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment