Wednesday, April 25, 2012

About That Night (F.B.I. #3) Review


About That Night by Julie James

Book description... 
HE’S PLAYING GAMES
Though Rylann Pierce tried to fight the sparks she felt for billionaire heir Kyle Rhodes the night they met, their sizzling chemistry was undeniable. But after being stood up on their first date, Rylann never expected to see him again. So when she finds herself face to face with Kyle in a courthouse nine years later, she’s stunned. More troubling to the beautiful Assistant U.S. Attorney is that she’s still wildly attracted to him.
BUT SHE’S MAKING THE RULES
Just released from prison, Kyle Rhodes isn’t thrilled to be the star witness in a high-profile criminal case—but when Rylann comes knocking at his door, he finds she may be the one lawyer he can’t say no to. Still as gorgeous and sharp-tongued as ever, she lays down the law: she doesn’t mix business with pleasure. But Kyle won’t give up on something he wants—and what he wants is the one woman he’s never forgotten. . .

Okay so I've made it quite obvious that I absolutely LOVE Julie's knack for sarcastic humor... I'm a smart ass and I appreciate charters who are smart asses, mostly because I always pick up a new come back and it's become imperative that I keep my repertoire as updated as possible.   I have to say though... yes there was that sarcastic touch in this book but no where near what Julie's books usually contain.... and considering I'm still living on the high from Nick and Jordan's book and all their witty sparing, I was a little disappointed when I finished About That Night.  Don't get me wrong, this book is still fantastic and I'll tell you all the wonderful reasons why... but I couldn't help but warn my fellow Julie James Fans that for whatever reason this book is a tad different then the other two books in this series.

Rylann is such an unusual name and I have to say that I like it and I also have to say that the uniqueness of the name totally suits the heroine in this book.... Rylann is my kind of girl, she's driven, hardworking, ready to bust some balls, and is quick with the wit...  She's just moved back to Chicago, after her boyfriend decided he's moving to Rome with or without her.  She's gotten a job with the US Attorney's office... yes, my friends working with our dear sweet Cameron.. I still love her!  And her first case is against the one man that she never could quite forget.

Kyle... Oh dear sweet, adorable, I just want to smooch you... Kyle.  I loved Kyle but here is where I was just a tad disappointed in the sarcasm thing.. remember how sarcastic Jordan was?  Well you'd think as much shit she talked to her brother that maybe he would be quick with the comebacks too... well he is in a way... and O.M.G. I can't believe I am going to reference my own brother in another Julie James book but.... He reminds me of Terry, my big brother... He has a few quick one liners that are worthy of a chuckle or two but mostly he just doesn't know what to say.. now Julie never mentioned this in the book but I'm starting to wonder if it took him 3-5 days to think of a come back whenever Jordan would throw some sass at him?  I ask that because that's how my brother is and I tease him relentlessly.... I'm just going to go with a family can only deal with so much sarcasm and apparently Jordan got it all.... as did I Smiley

I did still adore Kyle, I mean come on, how funny is it that he's referred to as the Twitter Terrorist?  That whole situation still cracks me right up and considering I'm a girl who is normally hot for those big bad alpha men, the change was quite nice.... to lust after a geek for once.  He was sweet.. in a way... he did still have the whole "bad boy" thing going on considering his past but when he runs into Rylann after 9 years... he realizes he never could forget her either...
"I saw you laughing with your friends and your smile sucked me right in."
I wouldn't have been able to let go of him either with that line.. I'll give it to him, He knew what he was doing 9 years ago but does he have what it takes to make Rylann take a chance on an ex-conn?  I'm not going to tell you what he does but let me just forewarn you that what he does in regards to the Twitter situation (and it's not until almost the end of the book).. but what he does is actually pretty funny... well at least how the other person reacts is quite funny.  There is nothing like taking a chance and I have to hand it to Kyle for numerous things... One... he owned up to what he did and served his time like a man and Two....he has balls!!!

Rylann is in love with Kyle... no doubt there, even though it takes her a while to admit she really even has true feelings for the man.  She was left once for not wanting to give up career, she's teased because of her years plans, and the office she now works for is the same office that referred to Kyle as the Twitter Terrorist and a menace to the internet.  Can she face her fears and risk her career for Kyle once she realizes how much she loves him and wants to be with him?  I know what my answer would be and I certainly would not have sat on that decision as long as Rylann did.  I got it and understood where she was coming from... BUT, true love only finds you once and if your lucky twice.... and the fact that she was still secretly pining for Kyle and happened to get him back in her life after all these years should have made her decision easier... or at least you'd think so.


About That Night by Julie James was a solid 3.75★'s for me.  I love Julies writing style and most especially her ability to create a story that will keep me consumed while I'm cheering for a HEA and laughing out loud.  While there were a few great LOL moments it just wasn't totally there for me with this one.  On the other hand I have to say (insert some catcalling here)... Julie is turning up the heat... Kyle was freaking HOT and the scenes were a little more descriptive than in past books... bow chicka wow wow!!!!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment